Duralast is a popular choice among vehicle owners but some still find themselves getting confused about the Duralast type of battery they should go for. The Duralast are produced in different models but we will be comparing the two most popular brands, the Duralast battery – Duralast gold and Duralast platinum.
Are they not supposed to be similar since they are both being produced by the same company? To a larger extent, they are similar but are still differentiable.
This article will do you the favor of comparing the two battery models of Duralast. The article will also put forward the key features of each of the two batteries. We believe that by the time you are done reading the article, you will find it easy to make the best decision on the battery type and choose which is best for your needs.
Duralast Gold Battery Vs Duralast Platinum Battery – How the two batteries compare
Their similarities are expected because they share the same battery makers. Some of the similarities of the battery models are;
- They are made from recycled materials. So is every other battery model of the company
- They both have their replacement warranty lasting for a period of three (3) years from the time of purchase, hence they are both durable
- They can only be purchased from the official website of the company producing them or from the company’s selected dealers
- The two battery types have the same voltage specification – 12 volts
- They have their battery terminals to be on the same side – the right side
- The group size for both of the batteries is 35
In our quest to answer some of the FAQs on Duralast platinum and Duralast gold battery types, we will start by highlighting what differentiates one of the battery models from the other. They differ in their;
- Battery Design
- Reserve Capacity/Minute
- Discharge Capacity
- Battery Size
- Battery Cost
The design of a battery i.e. the overall outlook is the first noticeable property of a battery you tend to notice first. If you are a regular at a spare parts store, you will know that AGM batteries obviously look different from standard lead-acid battery brands.
Yeah! There is a way AGM battery brands look and there is another way the standard lead-acid battery brands look.
Not to worry, if you are confused about what an AGM and/or lead acid means. Here is a quick one. AGM is the acronym for Absorbent Glass Mat. It is an absorbent glass mat battery because it has its glass fiber material filled with sulphuric acid. The lead-acid batteries, on the other hand, do not contain liquids in them and so do not pose any danger of leaking in case of battery breakage.
A Duralast gold battery is designed to have the outlook of the standard lead-acid battery brands while a Duralast platinum battery will have its outlook like that of the AGM batteries.
The Duralast gold batteries because of their AGM’s design, have a low discharge rate, this is attributed to their low internal resistance. They also have the ability to start even when they have not been in use for days.
The Duralast platinum batteries’ design advantage allows them to be best when needed to start a car because of their high voltage spikes. They cannot go through deep discharge like their Duralast gold counterparts and they require extra maintenance time.
The reserve capacity of both Duralast battery types is only slightly different from each other as their power output is roughly the same. Duralast gold because of its standard lead-acid design has a higher reserve capacity than Duralast platinum. So it has the ability to get your vehicle or machinery revved up than its counterpart.
Duralast platinum battery as an example of a deep cycle battery has thick plates that allow it a deeper discharge without the fear of damage. It can allow deep discharge of about 70 – 80% but not more as anything above 80% will significantly reduce the battery life.
Because of the deep cycle capability of the Duralast platinum, they are best used in plug-in electronics and accessories. They also come in handy when there is a maximum power demand, such as in cold weather conditions.
Some Duralast platinum batteries can even serve as Duralast jump starters, although the cold cranking amps of the battery will need to be checked so as to be sure it can handle such a task.
A Duralast gold battery on the other hand can be likened to a starter box. It can not handle deep discharge – or else it will result in the reduction of the battery’s life and may even result in total damage to the battery. The maximum deep discharge that a Duralast gold can allow is about 10%.
They both have a very good and compact size compared to some regular batteries. Duralast platinum has an edge over Duralast gold in terms of its size. Its users can very well change its shape and mount it in different ways, this is able to be done because of its spillproof design. Whereas it is unachievable with Duralast Gold.
The Duralast platinum batteries cost less than the Duralast gold batteries.
The two Duralast batteries – Duralast Gold and Duralast Platinum are reliable battery types, they are also considered durable battery types. For better comparison and decision-making, we will go ahead to outrightly point out their pros and cons.
Pros and Cons of Duralast Gold Battery
- A Duralast gold battery has a high CCA rating (900 cranking rate) and a good starting current.
- The self-discharge rate of the Duralast gold battery is low
- Less servicing is needed as its resource is high
- The battery type of a Duralast Gold is an SLI (Starting, Lighting, and Ignition) type
- The battery is a durable one with ease of mounting, maintenance and usability
- Duralast Gold battery does not fall in the category of lowest prices battery types, as it has a high purchase cost i.e. expensive
- Since it is not a deep cycle battery, it can not handle deep discharging – else it will be damaged
- There is no full battery status check on the Duralast gold battery, so it risks being overcharged. Overcharging is one way to get original batteries destroyed quickly
Pros and Cons of Duralast Platinum Battery
- The Duralast platinum is a relatively affordable one against the high cost expected for AGM batteries
- There is a wide range of use and application for Duralast platinum
- The battery has the capability to power applications for long periods of time
- Duralast Platinum is a durable battery with a strong build
- We like Duralast platinum because it is a maintenance-free design
- Because of its deep cycle capability, it allows for deep discharge
- With a Duralast gold battery, it is rare for a reserve power self-discharge issue to come up
- It has less power output of distinct energy
- Using them as an engine starter does not come so easily
- Compared to Duralast Gold, its CCA is lower
Answers to some Frequently asked Questions
It is actually not an easy one, to narrow down which is better between the Duralast gold and the Duralast platinum. Why? Because they are produced by the same battery maker and also they closely have the same similarities with only a little difference.
Nevertheless, we will circle on and have Duralast platinum have the position of the better Duralast battery. It is better because it is lesser in cost than the Duralast gold battery, and also because of its wide range of use and application.
Duralast Battery testing is done in extreme conditions to ensure their durability, including in motorcycles. The Duralast replacement warranty is from 2 years and depends on the Duralast model of battery purchased for your motorcycle.
Just like regular batteries, a lot of factors come into place into how short or how long a battery will last. Road conditions, battery undergoing light applications or heavy ones, frequency of use, recharging method, quality of maintenance, weather conditions, etc are some of the factors that are to be considered. Nevertheless, in the case of appropriate and good use, a Duralast battery will conveniently last 4 – 7 years.
No! Deep cycle battery in a car will tend to draw too much voltage when it recharges and this can result in damage to the alternator. For a regular car, stick to a starter battery.
This article has done so well the job of compares the two most popular and durable Duralast batteries – Duralast gold and Duralast platinum. We do hope that you find it worthy of your time and we also hope that it helps you to make the best decision?
Related Post: The difference between Optima and Interstate Battery