You don’t need to go through a long list of oil brands to get the best oil brand for Subaru. From experience, all you need is to know what brand of oil does Subaru recommends for their vehicles.
That way, it will be very easy for you to get the ideal brand of oil that you will use on your Subaru.
Inside this list, I’m going to share with you the top 5 best synthetic oil for Subaru- in order that you would choose from one.
It is true that there are other oil brands for Subaru but I have personally researched these five and from my first-hand research experience, you will not go wrong.
There is no hierarchy in this list. Besides, it doesn’t the model of your car. As long as it is Subaru, you will be happy that you can choose one of the oil brands for Subaru from the list below.
Best oil brands for Subaru reviews
In this review section, we are going to highlight the best Oil brands for Subaru and from where you are able to pick one by our recommend list.
1. AmazonBasics 5 Quart SN Plus Full Synthetic OW-40 Motor Oil
As you can see, Amazon Basics is the best 0w-40 synthetic oil for Subaru. You can be sure about its effectiveness because apart from labeling it high-mileage, it is also conventional, which means you can use it in any Subaru brand.
The Subaru engine oil does not have to be overly expensive or weigh many gallons.
As you can see, AmazonBasics’s capacity does not exceed 5 quarts. The important thing is the engine oil gives your Subaru car the needed service for a long time than any other engine oil in the market.
- Although it is 5 quarts, it is available in a 6-pack
- Comes in a variety of configurations such as 20W-50, 10W-40, 5W-30, and 5W-40 among other configurations
- The entire 6-package weighs 9.22 lbs
- The manufacturer has included a user’s manual for easy application
- Ability to formulate over a longer period
- The oil is equipped with high viscosity resistance
- Significantly reduces friction on most internal parts
- Excellent in reducing exhaust emissions
- Say goodbye to quick engine wear after using AmazonBasics
- Works best in stopping corrosion, dust, and rust that may build up inside the engine
- Because of the package, it is not easy to tell how much oil you’ve poured and how much you’ve remained inside the bottle
2. Valvoline High Mileage SAE 5W-20 MaxLife Technology 5 Qt Synthetic Motor Oil
Valvoline is stopping at nothing in bringing you the best synthetic oil for Subaru. The company is doing this by ensuring it gives you a 5-quart 10W-30, 5W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, and 5W-20 configurations of Subaru oil brands.
Although it is a single pattern, the oil brand for Subaru will save your car engine for many years.
However, I must mention that for you to get the best results you have no choice but to follow Valvoline’s manual on usage.
This oil is filled with unprecedented elements that help your car engine in case of any future wear.
- To help in the protection of oil leaks, spillages, Valvoline SAW 5W-20 comes with an exceptional seal conditioner
- Besides, the oil comes with additional detergents. The work of these extra detergents, which are rare in many Subaru oil brands, is to clean older car engines
- For the first time, this is an oil brand for Subaru that comes with anti-oxidants whose work is to prevent any oil breakdown inside new and old Subaru engines
- The pack weighs 9 lbs
- Comes with ant-oxidants for the prevention of engine clogs
- No oil spillages thanks to the seal conditioners
- The oil is highly viscous
- Does better in a few other car engines such as Toyota
- With extra detergents, your old Subaru engine will be as good as new
- Your engine will not wear out easily with the regular use of Valvoline oil brand for Subaru
- It is not always easy to get the right configuration you want (10W-30, 5W-30, 10W-40, 20W-50, and 5W-20)
3. Castrol 03124 Edge 0W-20 Advanced Full Synthetic Motor Oil 5 Quart
Like most other best 0w-20 synthetic oil for Subaru, Castrol is doing all it can within its means to provide you with 5-Quart three-pack engine oil.
The engine oil is exceptional in fighting deposits that are a common thing in most Subaru engines.
The oil merges synthetic abilities and conventional engine protection to give you additional reasons to trust the brand.
Besides, if you use the oil regularly, without mixing with any other basic oils, you will bid bye to engine corrosion.
You will also not experience any oxidation, fast engine wear, and no engine rust at all. Whenever possible, Castrol EDGE can be used in like car brands such as Acura, Lexus, Toyota, Honda, and a few others.
- The oil is available in the standard 5-quart capacity
- Unlike many other engine oils in the market and those in my list, Castrol EDGE is available in 0W-20 and 0W-30, configurations that is accepted by a variety of other car brands
- The oil’s style is advanced full synthetic
- It weighs 9.2 lbs
- Helps fight wearing of your Subaru car engine
- As long as you use it regularly and as directed by the manufacturer, there will be no awkward engine deposits
- Prevents your engine against corrosion, dirty, and future deposits thanks to its thick film
- You can use the oil on a few other car engine brands such as Honda, Acura, Lexus, and Toyota
- It is advanced full synthetic, thus you can trust its efficacy thanks to its viscosity
- Reduces friction significantly
- It appears that 0W-20 improves your car’s fuel economy
- Hard to check the amount you have used or left with especially if you service your Subaru car from a dark garage.
4. Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 Full Synthetic Motor Oil
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5W-30 is a full synthetic single pack that is the perfect oil band for Subaru.
The oil is formulated using Pure Plus Technology, a kind that offers easy engine navigation with lower inner temperatures and high viscosity.
Thanks to the oil’s thick film and high viscosity, your car does not need a lot of energy from the engine to make the oil circulate to other parts.
Even if your car is under intense oxidation conditions, the engine maintains excellent performance thanks to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum’s viscosity.
The engine is a 5-quart and weighs 9.1 lbs.
- Excellent viscosity
- Formulated using Pure Plus Technology
- 5-quart with 3 in a pack
- Thanks to PP Technology, the oil has lower viscosity compared to its peers
- The oil flows fast inside the engine thanks to the low viscosity
- You don’t have to worry about oxidation because of the exceptional technology behind the production of the oil
- The engine saves you a lot in your car’s fuel consumption
- Even at low or high temperatures, engine performance will remain at its optimal position
- Your car engine doesn’t have to use a lot of energy to circulate the oil to its parts
- For better performance, you need to drive over 550 miles in a year (this is not always easy if you are not the travel type)
5. Idemitsu Full Synthetic 5W-20 Engine Oil SN/GF-5
One of the main reasons you need to consider before buying the best oil brand for Subaru is available in at least three configurations. The first of them is the signature 5W-20, the 0W-20, and the 5W-30.
The oil is made with high technology that is able to reduce friction and at the same time help reduce fuel consumption thanks to the oil’s modifying addictive technology.
Idemitsu Full Synthetic 30010091-95300C020 minimizes engine wear by providing maximum protection against the formation of unwanted deposits inside the crucial parts of the engine.
This is possible even if you are driving your car in some extreme or adverse conditions.
Besides, the oil is made in a way that helps clean your engine pistons!
- 5W-20 Subaru engine oil style
- Full synthetic engine oil
- Ideal item weight is 9.4 lbs
- Provides excellent engine protection against deposits and wear even under adverse weather conditions
- Helps minimize fuel usage
- Eliminates friction, engine dust, corrosions, and rust
- Aids in the general and exceptional cleaning of engine pistons
- Enhances the life of your Subaru car engine
- For optimum results, you must use only Idemitsu 5W-20 Full Synthetic 30010091-95300C020
Buying guide to choose the Best oil for Subaru
I know you are asking, “What brand of oil does Subaru recommend?” That is not an easy question.
Although you know Subaru may recommend advanced full synthetic or full synthetic oil, it is not always the car manufacturer to dictate to you what oil brand to use or not to use on your car.
Before you decide, this is the best oil for Subaru, look at these three factors:
Type of oil
Several types of oil exist. Some of the oils in the market are for new cars while others are for old cars. Perhaps this will help you:
- Full synthetic oil – suitable for high-tech Subaru engines. Ideal for high temperatures and its performance lasts longer.
- High mileage oil – ideal for heavy travelers.
- Synthetic oil – mixed with organic with oil to make heavy Subaru cars move with easy. It is ideal for heavy engines.
- Premium conventional oil – this oil is ideal for new Subaru cars. After a few years’ drive, you will shift to other oil brands.
This is very important. Most engine oils will have the numbers and letters 0-100 and W. the letter W means winter. If the oil has a W in it, it means it has passed the SAE’s weather grading. The last number such as 20, 30, or 40 means the oil can withstand as high temperatures as indicated.
Check the Label
Although many people don’t reach the label, it is important to. The label does not only show you the quantity, brand name, viscosity grade, and type of oil, but also other relevant information such as what you need to do in the event it gets in contact with your eyes or skin.
What Type of Oil does Subaru Use?
Every car has its preferred oil brand as recommended by the manufacturer.
The best oil brand for Subaru should be able to lengthen the lifespan of your car engine, protect the engine against unnecessary corrosion, rust, and guard against any deposits.
From experience, the only oil brand for Subaru that does all these is either synthetic oil or advanced full oil. Some users are very specific on the oil styles but that is not very important.
As long as you ensure the oil brand is full synthetic or advanced full synthetic, you are good to go.
Expect to save the money you use on your fuel, enjoy quick and easy navigation, with little or no friction on most engine parts.
Other people opt to mix synthetic oil and regular oils but it is not advisable. If you have to mix, then you have to read and understand manufacturer recommendations.
What Brand of Oil Does Subaru Recommend?
Subaru does not recommend a specific oil brand for your Subaru car. However, the manufacturer advises you to use SAE-certified engine oils. For new cars, you can use SAE certified premium oil while for older cars, you can use advanced full synthetic and synthetic oils depending on the type, use, and weight of your Subaru engine.
Can I use 0W-20 instead of 5W-30?
First, each of the engine oils is designed to offer optimum usage in certain climatic conditions. Subaru advises you to use 0W-20 when you are in states or a region with colder temperatures and 5W-30 in hotter climates.
Can I mix regular oil with synthetic oil?
There is no significant danger in mixing. However, if you want your Subaru engine to stay for many years, you need to stick to the same type of oil.
Gone are the days when owning a Subaru car was seen as a class. Today, many people own cars more than at any other time in the history of man. Others are buying high-end cars every other day.
Manufacturers are doing all they can to make sure they satisfy the ever-increasing demand.
For those that already own a Subaru car, it is inevitable that they need to protect their car engines.
For you to ensure your car gives you the right service for a longer time, you need to put your money in the best oil brand for Subaru.
In this article, I have tried to highlight several things that will help you to get the best oil for Subaru that you’ve been looking for. Besides, you now know that it is not as bad as you may have thought when you mix regular and synthetic oils.
With the best one, you don’t have to spend a lot of money on fuel because most synthetic oils for Subaru in the market minimized corrosion, reduce deposits, and enhance engine performance.